To understand how the brain learns and remembers requires an integration of psychological concepts and behavioral methods with mechanisms of synaptic plasticity and systems neuroscience.
The Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, Third Editionprovides a synthesis of this interdisciplinary field. Each chapter makes the key concepts transparent and accessible to a reader with minimal background in either neurobiology or psychology and is extensively illustrated with full-color photographs and figures depicting important concepts and experimental data.
Dynamic New Enhanced eBook Features
Learning Objectives at the chapter level
Animations based on key textbook figures
A variety of multiple-choice self-assessment questions at the section level
A complete set of flashcards to reinforce the key terms presented in each chapter
New to This Edition
An Enhanced eBook exclusively featuring the following student resources:
- Learning Objectives at the chapter level - Animations based on key textbook figures - A variety of multiple-choice self-assessment questions at the section level
- A complete set of flashcards to reinforce the key terms presented in each chapter
Many chapters have been extensively revised to accommodate new findings and provide more coherent views of their subjects, including:
- Separate chapters on the generation and stabilization of long-term memory
- Consolidating LTP: Specific Mechanisms has been reconstructed to give proper treatment to the local events in the dendritic spine region that consolidate memories
- Maintaining Long-Term Potentiation has been revised to provide a broader view of the topic
New chapters focus on recent advances in the neurobiology of forgetting (The Yin and Yang of Memory: Forgetting versus Maintenance), the search for engrams (Hunting for Engrams), and what happens to memories over time (When Memories Age)
Figures and Tables: All of the illustrations and photos from the textbook are provided as JPEGs, optimized for use in presentation software
PowerPoint Resources: Two PowerPoint presentations are provided for each chapter of the textbook:
- All figures and photos
- A complete lecture outline, including selected figures
Test Bank: A comprehensive set of questions is provided for each chapter, including multiple-choice, matching, essay, definition, and paragraph development questions that cover the full range of material in the chapter, aligned to the book’s new learning objectives. The Test Bank is provided in Microsoft Word format as well as in a common cartridge format.